[XeTeX] Hyphenation of "--" with tex-text mapping on

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Nov 29 03:44:16 CET 2005

On 25/11/2005, at 6pm, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2005, at 12:34 am, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> Sorry to be dense, but if font mappings aren't involved with line
>> breaking, how on earth does justification still work correctly?
>> Won't the line break be determined based on the width of "--",
>> which will later change after conversion to "–"?
>
> No, because the font mapping will be applied when the width of "--"
> is measured, just as it is applied when the "--" is rendered to the
> output.
>
> But TeX looks for line-break positions in the underlying text
> (sequence of characters and glue, mainly), and the font mapping
> doesn't change that. (I considered implementing this differently,
> but that would lead to other issues....)

I suppose it is implemented this way so that hyphenation works for
scripts when the font mapping is performing contextual re-arrangement
and so on; it wouldn't be very useful to only either to have the
correct word shapes OR hyphenation!

It is unfortunate that an em-dash can be hyphenated in this manner,
though: do you consider this a bug that might one day be fixed, or is
it a design decision that cannot be changed? If the latter, I'll make
a note in the fontspec documentation telling people to avoid using it
except for legacy documents...

Cheers,

Will