[XeTeX] Hyphenation of "--" with tex-text mapping on

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 24 15:37:39 CET 2005

On Nov 24, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> A late follow-up to this thread: I've just realized that, in LaTeX
> 2e, the recommended way of entering en- and em-dashes is through
> the commands \textendash and \textemdash. That solves the above
> problem (like the \Dash macro you used with plain TeX, I guess).
>
> Another advantage: if an en-dash is entered in this way in a
> section title, and the hyperref package is used to create
> bookmarks, then the en-dash will appear as en-dash in the
> bookmarks; otherwise, if entered as a ligature --, then it would
> show up as -- in the bookmarks. That's what happens with the
> xunicode.sty package loaded, anyway. And no need, in this way, to
> use the low-level hyperref command \texorpdfstring, which is the
> solution I was contemplating.
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

Add the lines

---:=\textemdash\
---:=\textemdash
--:=\textendash\
--:=\textendash

to your CommandCompletion.txt file and you need only press the Escape
key after entering the -- or --- to get the correct dash. A second
press of Escape gives the dash with the forced space (there should be
a space after final \).

I'm so used to using -- and --- that this is the best way for me to
``fix'' it up.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)