[XeTeX] Unicode line separator

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Nov 17 06:23:38 CET 2005

On 16 Nov 2005, at 8:38 pm, mike leonard wrote:

>> If you can't find an editor like BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, or iTeXMac that
>> accepts LINE SEPARATOR
>
> Well, I'll be. This works fine if I use SubEthaEdit (which I enjoy
> anyway). I guess the problem was with TeXShop, after all.
>
> Jonathan, is there any chance of native support for LINE SEPARATOR in
> XeTeX, or is this beyond your jurisdiction?

It's not clear to me what "native support" would involve..... exactly
how you want line separation to be implemented may depend on the
context. I think this is best left to the TeX macro level, not
somehow hard-wired into XeTeX.

What I could consider doing would be adding a default active-
character definition of LINE SEP to the "plain" xetex format -
probably with a simple expansion such as \hfil\break - but this will
not necessarily always be what you want. Making it "do the right
thing" in the context of other packages such as LaTeX or ConTeXt may
require redefining it according to the context where it's used.