[XeTeX] Unicode line separator

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Nov 17 06:09:12 CET 2005

On 17/11/2005, at 1pm, mike leonard wrote:

> Well, I'll be. This works fine if I use SubEthaEdit (which I enjoy
> anyway). I guess the problem was with TeXShop, after all.
>
> Jonathan, is there any chance of native support for LINE SEPARATOR in
> XeTeX, or is this beyond your jurisdiction?

Is a LINE SEP character supposed to be used in source to start a new
line, or to be inserted into the output so that when copying text
from the PDF, this char comes along for the ride so that whichever
app you're pasting into knows where the lines actually end?

Or both, for that matter?

I don't think that by default a specific newline char in the source
should start a new line in the output; this just isn't how TeX has
worked (cf. normal line feeds and the \obeylines command).

On the other hand, inserting end-of-line and end-of-paragraph chars
in their respective locations in the output would seem eventually to
be the "correct" thing to do; but I can't see what the advantages are
at this stage.

Will