[XeTeX] Re: Unicode line separator

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Nov 16 15:41:43 CET 2005

On 16 Nov 2005, at 6:58 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 16/11/2005, at 11am, Mike Leonard wrote:
>
>> \catcode"2028=\active
>
> Here's the problem. Using the " notation is TeX's way of reading
> hexadecimal numbers, but you want 16-bit unicode numbers instead,
> which XeTeX reads with ^^^^ .
>
> To make that character active you need something more along the
> lines of:
>   \catcode`\^^^^2028=\active

No, that's not the problem. The \catcode primitive requires a
character number; either "HHHH or `\<character> is a legitimate form
of <number>.

The actual problem is that TeXShop doesn't seem to allow U+2028 to be
entered. Hexdump-ing a file, I see that it's converting U+2028 typed
with the Hex Input method into U+000A in the saved document. Most
likely this is default Cocoa Text behavior.

I also tried TextWrangler; in this case, my U+2028 was saved as U
+000D. So again, the editor doesn't allow this character into the file.

If you can get it in there, XeTeX can handle it with active-character
definitions, as people have suggested; but it looks as though it may
be more trouble than it's worth!