[XeTeX] Unicode line separator

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Nov 16 11:52:42 CET 2005

Am 16.11.2005 um 01:23 schrieb Ross Moore:

> So I need to know a good method to insert the correct bytes,
> to be able to do anymore testing with XeTeX.

Hello Ross!

You could use another Input Method. Apple supplies Unicode Hex Input,
which you can choose in System Preferences -> International -> Keyboard
Menu (same as for Character Palette). Holding the alt key you input the
four hex digits (the next plane can't be reached on Panther).

Mail accepts LINE SEPARATOR as this Unicode character. I can copy it
into GNU Emacs in X11 and it is preserved (this Emacs does not accept
input from Character Palette or the Unicode Hex Input method, and I
haven't checked whether it has a Unicode IM at all, I remember a simple
external interface function).

The Carbon Emacsen fail completely! When I copy the LINE SEPARATOR from
Mail to Carbon Emacs it gets simplified to a LINE FEED.

Emacs 23 on Aqua, the updated port from NeXTStep, accepts the Unicode
Hex Input method -- but fails to display the glyphs correctly! An
heritage from NeXTstep. I think it can't copy&paste with other Carbon
or Cocoa applications.

If you can't find an editor like BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, or iTeXMac that
accepts LINE SEPARATOR, you can either copy the LINE SEPARATOR from
Mail into X11 Emacs and put it there into a register (mark the hollow
rectangle, type 'C-x x j' to copy it into the register 'j') and paste
this buffer's contents (with 'C-x g j') into the XeTeX source). You too
can 'extract' (into a register) that glyph from utf8.txt in the Kermit
distribution. The X11 or GNU Emacs I am writing of is version 23, the
Unicode Emacs. The stable version 21.4 fails completely (LINE SEPARATOR
is changed into LINE FEED), and so does its CVS version 22.0.50, which
is basis to (almost) all Carbon Emacsen.

It might be convenient to type the XeTeX source in Mail and copy it
into Unicode Emacs 23, where you have AUCTeX to convert it to PDF.

This works: