[XeTeX] Unicode line separator

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Nov 15 03:29:46 CET 2005

Hello Mike,

On 14/11/2005, at 1:54 AM, Mike Leonard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to start using the Unicode line separator (at position
> 2028) to mark new lines in my XeTeX documents, as opposed to the
> conventional "\\". I thought I could accomplish this by making the
> character active and giving it an appropriate definition, but that
> didn't seem to work. Does anyone have any advice on how I could go
> about this?

I'm not sure why this didn't work, but have some ideas.
Certainly you have to be careful with \\ as it is a macro
which is really a 'variable' rather than a 'primitive'.

This means that its expansion may be different in different
circumstances.
You should provide a code-snippet that didn't work, along with
anything suggestive from the .log output.

Also, you should explain how what you want to use ^^^^2028 .
(Presumably it's not for end-of-paragraph, as that is ^^^^2029
  and would require hacking this to emulate \par in TeX. )

If for \\ as an  end-of-table-row  or  end-of-list-item  indicator,
then it's necessary to see just how the table/list environment
has been defined, and how the specific environment finds these
indicators. (They don't all do it in the same way.)
Hence an example would be useful.

Cheers,

	Ross Moore

BTW, did you remove yourself from the XeTeX list,
but have now re-enlisted ?
  --- I had to moderate this message, before it went
to the list.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au