doc suggestion, was: [XeTeX] beginners trouble

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Nov 14 01:21:51 CET 2005

Am 13.11.2005 um 23:13 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> I'm not sure what "| means in the German package (is this a Babel
> option?), but it very likely expands to something like \kern0pt, in
> which case it should also work in XeTeX. But if it's part of a package
> that sets up lots of other font-related stuff, that might be a
> problem..... someone more knowledgeable about LaTeX matters would need
> to clarify this.

It comes from stone-old german.sty! I think it's this definition:

\def at dqmacro{|}{\penalty\@M\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.03em}\allowhyphens}
{}

Luckily german.sty and "| work in XeLaTeX ... (but I'm still waiting
for a visible failure)

--
Greetings

   Pete