doc suggestion, was: [XeTeX] beginners trouble

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Nov 13 12:43:33 CET 2005

Am 13.11.2005 um 10:45 schrieb Will Robertson:

> The other problem is unicode. TeX simply can't do multilingual
> typesetting to any degree that could be called "comfortable". XeTeX
> allows you to write in Chinese, Arabic, Russian, English, and whatever
> else all in the same document, all displaying natively in the source,
> as opposed to an obscure transliteration scheme.

XeTeX allows to write in these languages, it too allows to use the
right exclamation, question, and quotation marks. No 'tricks' with
special 'localisation' as in TeX or LaTeX needed. But sooner or later
it will come to hyphenation. This is not a fontspec topic, I'm just
missing some mentioning of this. How do you prevent XeTeX from creating
an fl ligature here: beruflich (professionally)? In German it's just
'beruf"|lich.'

TeXShop comes with a few template files. Wouldn't it be a good idea to
create some XeTeX and XelaTeX template files for TeXShop? Some for text
only use in languages other than English, for scripts that don't go
left to right (for example in columns top to bottom and then right to
left), and maybe one example with varying text directions; and then
we'd need an example with mathematics. The text parts probably could we
written with the aid of the right text template.

--
Greetings

   Pete
               <\