Solved: [XeTeX] beginners trouble

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Sat Nov 12 16:03:53 CET 2005

Hello readers,

i can 'proudly' announce that my problem seems to be solved :) Thank
you all for your help... below some notes on the problem/solution:

On Nov 12, 2005, at 2:13 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> If you're using TeXShop 1.41 or 2.03 use
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

Perfect! I always wondered why my commands don't work :))

> Try
>
> \usepackage{euler} % for maths

hmm... why is that? Amsmath etc. won't work anymore? Do i have to
learn the math commands all over now? :)

> \setromanfont[Numbers=Lining,Scale=1.05]{Hoefler Text}
> \setsansfont[Scale=1.01]{Gill Sans}
> \setmonofont[Scale=0.84]{Verdana}

I liked the 'scale' argument... using it to make Monaco look good
with Charis SIL :)

On Nov 12, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> \usepackage{ngerman} % or "\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}" ... I don't
> know the difference

after endless trouble with TeXhop not beeing able to load the
installed font, i finally switched to the secnd version (with
babel...) - Suddenly everything worked out perfectly! I don't know
the connection between the two things, but without babel i couldn't
load fonts at all.

> I believe only a few of the fonts that ship with Mac OS X include
> Cyrillic characters, so you might want to look for additional
> Unicode fonts that support both Latin and Cyrillic (like the Doulos
> SIL, Charis SIL, and Gentium fonts available from scripts.sil.org,
> for example).

Monaco seems to contain everything, i'm using it now for for
monospace style. Downloaded the SIL fonts and i guess i'll stick with
Charis SIL, even though it is not as 'readable' as the 'standard
LaTeX font' - but, that's really great, it seems to have all
character i will ever need included and since i don't want to sell
it... nice :)

On Nov 12, 2005, you all wrote:

> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}

I understand fontspec - why do i need xunicode? The mapping-thingy is
also a little weird for me... i found some bla.map-files on my system
and they seem to contain charcater mappings for different languages
on th same keyboard - right? what does 'tex-text' tell me then?

=== \begin{final, working version}

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrreprt}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}				%the babel seems to be very important!
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Numbers=Lining,Scale=1.05]{Charis SIL}	%from
scripts.sil.org
\setsansfont[Scale=1.01]{Lucida Grande}			%shipped with OS X
\setmonofont[Scale=0.90]{Monaco}			%shipped with OS X

=== \end{final, working version}