[XeTeX] TEI XML and XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Nov 9 06:21:36 CET 2005

On 8 Nov 2005, at 1:18 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

>> Ok... suppose I've got a tei document; how do I process it to end
>> up with a XeLaTeX document?
>>

> There are two versions of TEI: P4 which belongs to the past, and P5
> to the future. If you're new to TEI you'll probably choose P5.
> Supposing you have a *valid* TEI P5 document, you need an XML
> processor. The simplest is to install "xalanj" with Fink, since
> Fink automatically sets your CLASSPATH. Suppose you want to process
> file "myFile.xml" in your working directory and that directory "tei-
> xsl-5.2.9" is also in that directory, you must type in a terminal
> window:
>     java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in myFile.xml -xsl ./tei-
> xsl-5.2.9/p5/latex/tei.xsl -out myFile.tex
> If you choose a different setup, you simply have to add the
> suitable paths. For instance, I prefer not to have XML and LaTeX
> files in the same directory, so for me the last part of the command
> would be:
>     -out ./xetex/myFile.tex

For XSL processing, I simply use xsltproc. If you're running Tiger, I
believe this is included; for Panther, there are binaries available.
See http://www.explain.com.au/oss/libxml2xslt.html for more info.

So an equivalent to the above command ought to be something like:

     xsltproc -o ./xetex/myFile.tex ./tei-xsl-5.2.9/p5/latex/tei.xsl
myFile.xml

which should work "out of the box" on Tiger. (Untested, as I don't
have any TEI materials lying around.)