[XeTeX] Charis SIL font problems in XeLaTeX

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Nov 7 10:03:14 CET 2005

On 07/11/2005, at 6pm, Bernd wrote:

> Just for clarity, I've been reading this thread and I was wondering
> whether font sizes are alway defined by way of Latex and not by
> fontspec. Is that correct? With fontspec you only "scale" according
> to the Latex font size. I.e. Latex 10 and scale=1.2 makes it size 12?

If I understand you correctly, then yes, [scale=1.2] will be 20%
larger than not specifying anything.

This feature exists because the "size" of a 12pt font isn't constant.
If you have a font with thick stems and a large x-height (such as
Palatino), you'll find that it looks a lot "larger" on the page than
a more delicate font with long ascenders and descenders (such as
Baskerville), even at the same font size. For example, at 35pt, the
aforementioned fonts: