[XeTeX] Charis SIL font problems in XeLaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Nov 5 03:15:44 CET 2005

On 4 Nov 2005, at 4:08 pm, Bernd wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just figured out why my bibliography looks diffeerent since I
> changed the font to Charis SIL, the \em doesn't work and I get this
> output:
<snip>
> To me it looks like XeLaTeX can't access the italics? How can I
> change that? The Gentium font works fine, though, no problems
> whatsoever.

Assuming you're using fontspec.sty, try:

     \setromanfont[ItalicFont=Charis SIL Italic]{Charis SIL}

or something along those lines, if XeTeX is failing to find the
italic face by itself. (Similarly for bold.) It seems to have trouble
associating some font families properly; this is a known issue that
I'd like to solve, if I can figure out the root cause sometime.