[XeTeX] Fontspec, Trebuchet MS and curly quotes

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 30 12:34:48 CEST 2005

Hello,

Using the fontspec package to typeset in Trebuchet MS by writing

     \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Trebuchet MS}

I've just realized that curly quotes yield different output,
depending on whether they are entered directly as ‘’ or in TeX form
as `'; namely, the output reflects the input, with curly quotes
yielding curly quotes and "TeX-type" quotes yielding TeX-type quotes.

I thought the function of [Mapping=tex-text] was precisely to ensure
that TeX-type input, such as `', was converted to its UTF-8 form,
such as ‘’, before or during typesetting. I checked that, when

     \DeclareFontFamily{U}{trebuchet}{}
     \DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{m}{n}
       {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS:mapping=tex-text"}{}

etc., then the problem doesn't occur and both types of input yield
curly quotes. Thus it seems to be a fontspec-specific problem.

The problem is also specific to Trebuchet MS: if Optima, for example,
is used by writing

     \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Optima Regular}

then the problem doesn't occur.

This is all in Tiger 10.4.1.

Bruno Voisin