Optically sized fonts, was, re: [XeTeX] Font strangeness

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue May 24 09:02:36 CEST 2005

On 24 May 2005, at 4:17 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> You can disable this behavior by adding "/S=0" to the font name,
> and then it will simply use the face named in the \font command. Or
> you can use "/S=##" where ## is the desired optical size if you
> want to use (even if that differs from the "at size"). Thus, \font
> \x="Garamond Premier Pro/S=36" at .1pt will load whatever optical
> face of GPP would be used at 36pt, but scaled to 0.1pt.

PS This feature will be supported in fontspec in the next release
(soonish! I know I said that a few months ago. Other issues have been
pressing). Sorry for the delay. After this release things might
quieten down significantly for me.

On a related matter, I was wondering if anyone has a multiple master
font with optical scaling they could lend me *strictly* for the
purposes of developing and testing fontspec so that [OpticalSize=]
works for both OpenType fonts with discrete optical sizes and MM
fonts with continuous ones. (If indeed it's possible to combine the
two into a single feature.)

I promise not to use it in the fontspec documentation (although it
would be nice...) and will not keep it installed on my computer once
the feature is in working order, if the assurance is required.

Cheers,
Will