[XeTeX] Font sizes in footnotes, and dashes

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri May 20 18:37:56 CEST 2005

On 20 May 2005, at 5:28 pm, Tara Andrews wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help.  The thing to fix em-dashes works fine, but I'm
> having a bit of trouble with the fontspec commands.  In particular,
> this command, which as far as I can tell is the correct syntax:
>
>>     \newfontinstance\armfont{Mshtakan}
>
> generates the error:
> ! Font \zf at testfont=2 at 10.0pt not loadable: ATSUI font not found.
> \zf at set@font at type ... \zf at testfont = "#1" at 10pt
>                                                   \count 255 =
> \XeTeXcountfe...
> l.6 \newfontinstance\arm2
>                          font{"Mshtakan"}
>
> This obviously confuses me a bit, as loading it via \font gives no
> error at all.  I've tried it with and without the quotes.
>
> What am I missing?

It looks as though you actually have

	\newfontinstance\armfont{Mshtakan}

in your document, but rather

	\newfontinstance\arm2font{Mshtakan}

as indicated by the error message. You can't do that, because command
names are made up of letters only, not numbers. So "\arm2font" is not
valid, and it is being read as "\arm" followed by "2" as the font name.
And of course a font called "2" isn't found.