[XeTeX] Font sizes in footnotes, and dashes

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri May 20 14:33:18 CEST 2005

Le 20 mai 05 à 14:07, Tara Andrews a écrit :

> I am a newcomer to XeTeX and to TeX in general; so far it has
> proven to be exactly what I was looking for before I made my long-
> overdue switch to LaTeX.  I have two problems remaining that I've
> been unable to figure out, and am hoping someone on this list can
> help.
>
> The first is to do with font sizes.  I have the following commands
> defined:
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \font\armfont="Mshtakan"
> \def\arm#1{{\armfont #1}}
>
> which work fine for the body text.  When I want to have Armenian
> text within a footnote, e.g.
> \footnote{The number 471 is rendered in Armenian as \arm{XXX} ...}
> % in the real source, I have Armenian characters in the place of XXX.
>
> Using the \arm command here causes the Armenian text to be the same
> size as the body text, rather than the same size as the footnote
> text.  I am unsure how best to get the Armenian text size to scale
> down to the default footnote size.

That's normal, \font is a plain TeX command which selects a specific
font in a specific size with specific settings regarding bold,
italic, etc. In LaTeX you're supposed to use a different syntax, more
difficult at first glance but yielding greater flexibility
eventually, such that the font size adapts to the environment
(footnotes, headers, captions, etc.) and that you can combine bold,
italic, small caps and the like (provided these combinations are
available in the original font). Plain TeX is the original dialect of
TeX, and LaTeX has been built later on top of it, making certain
commands, such as \font, deprecated in the process.

You may try using something like:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{armfont}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{armfont}{m}{n}{<-> "Mshtakan"}{}
\DeclareTextFontCommand{\arm}
   {\normalfont\fontencoding{U}\fontfamily{armfont}\selectfont}

and use \arm as you did previously. The syntax for font calls in
LaTeX is described in the document (assuming you've installed TeX
though i-Installer) /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/base/
fntguide.dvi

The above syntax is bare-bones LaTeX. Now, it's very likely that the
fontspec package provides an easier way for doing this.

Bruno Voisin