[XeTeX] Multiple Master Fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 30 13:00:52 CEST 2005

On 30 Mar 2005, at 10:30 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2005, at 5:53 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> On 29 Mar 2005, at 9:29 pm, Jonathan Nicholl wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to use Minion MM with xetex. It works to some
>>> extent. I can get variations along the optical axis. However, the
>>> other axes don't work properly. .....
>>
>> The ATSUI interface to the MM axes seems to use a different scale
>> than you see when using Adobe MM applications
>
> I only just realised that Mac OS X could handle MM fonts! (But now
> that I think of it I remember hearing about it back when 10.2 was
> new.)
>
> What format do MM fonts need to be in to work in Mac OS X, and where
> did you come across them? They're no longer for sale, right? :(

I have them in suitcase (FFIL) + classic Type 1 (LWFN) format, in the
~/Library/Fonts folder just like any other fonts. Not sure if they
could be repackaged in other forms---my guess is that if you had them
in "enabled" suitcase form, from a GX installation, that would probably
work too.

But in any case, they should probably be considered a historical
curiosity. At some future point, they'll probably break, and it'll be
hard to get anyone to take responsibility for fixing things.

Which is too bad. :-(