[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 29 22:31:33 CEST 2005

On 29 Mar 2005, at 12:00 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 29 mars 05, à 09:32, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Anyway, if there is still a problem, the correct solution is to fix
>> unicode-letters.tex, and omit this stuff from hyphenation files.
>
> When I have finished (in one or two days, I hope) adding a few more
> scripts to "sanhyph.tex", I'll see if it can be included in a format.
> If there's a problem, I'm afraid I shan't be able to do anything,
> because "unicode-letters.tex" isn't quite clear to me

It just sets \catcode, \lccode, and \uccode values for a whole bunch of
characters as defined by the Unicode standard. TeX only allows
characters with \catcode 11 (and non-zero \lccode, IIRC) to occur in
hyphenation patterns, so these properties affect which characters can
be used there.

>  and because of this warning on the first line:
>
> <q who="Jonathan Kew">% Do not edit this file!</q>

Ah! Well, that's primarily a note to myself---it's not a prohibition,
just a piece of advice. :) As it goes on to say, that file is generated
from the Unicode Character Database, so there should be no reason to
hand-edit it.

If you want to give different properties to certain individual
characters, it's appropriate to do that in separate files that are
loaded afterwards.