[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Mar 28 18:03:32 CEST 2005

On 28 Mar 2005, at 3:12 pm, somadevah at aol.com wrote:

> I too would be very happy to see the sanhyph.tex patterns added to
> language.dat by default. They work very well and it is a bother to
> recompile them each time XeTeX is upgraded.

I can understand this; but I'm hesitant to have the XeTeX installer
start adding things to language.dat. It's bad enough that I try to
patch fmtutil.cnf and texmf.cnf to ensure they contain appropriate
settings. These files really belong to the overall teTeX system, within
which XeTeX is merely a "guest" at the moment. (Eventually, perhaps
it'll be a full member of the family....)

Note that if you put sanhyph.tex in an appropriate location within your
texmf tree (something like ~/texmf/tex/generic/... perhaps), and edit
your own language.dat file to include an entry for sanskrit, then I
would expect the xelatex format that is built by the XeTeX installer
for each upgrade to include the patterns automatically. (Remember, I
don't distribute a pre-built format; it is built on your system during
installation, using whatever local language settings you have.)

On 28 Mar 2005, at 9:36 am, Yves Codet wrote:

> Anyway, wherever it should go, I think that "sanhyph.tex" has to be
> submitted by Jonathan, if he doesn't mind, since he's the actual
> author.

If Gerben or anyone else wishes to distribute those patterns, it's fine
with me. I just threw together an example to illustrate how it could be
done. I haven't verified the suitability of what I originally did for
Hindi (so please don't distribute those as "Jonathan's Hindi
patterns"....they were just Jonathan's example of patterns for an Indic
script!), but if people are happy with the Sanskrit version (and/or any
other versions that people care to develop), then by all means add them
to the distribution/archives. Better that Yves takes responsibility for
them, though, as I know nothing about Sanskrit hyphenation!