[XeTeX] Installation of xetex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 23 22:11:35 CET 2005

On 23 Mar 2005, at 8:56 pm, Chen Long wrote:

> I have installed xetex via i-installer. I try to typeset the example
> file CJKsample.tex. It gives me like
> ----
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!
> -----
>
> What's wrong? I search 'xelatex.fmt' in finder, but could find this
> file.
>
> Could you help me about the configuration?

This suggests that the "configure" stage of the xetex installation
probably failed. It should have created xelatex.fmt in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/ (also known as
/Library/teTeX/share...).

(Note that a simple Finder search won't normally locate this file
because /usr and its subdirectories are invisible to the Finder.)

Re-run the installation and look at the Subprocess Output tab in
i-Installer to see what messages appear; there will probably be some
kind of error message related to the creation of the xelatex format
file.

Another thing you could try is running
	sudo fmtutil --byfmt xelatex
in a Terminal window, and see what that reports. (I'm guessing it will
fail, as that's the same thing as the configuration script does.)

Once we know what specific error is happening, we may be able to
correct it.

Jonathan