[XeTeX] log files

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Mar 17 15:01:08 CET 2005

On 3/17/05 3:56 AM, "Jonathan Kew" <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:

> No problem! I can see that creating all the .log files in a standard
> directory could be an attractive option; I just think that if this is
> done, it should be done as a consistent option for all the tex-based
> typesetting engines, not as a XeTeX-specific feature.
>
> There is an -output-directory option to the engines (I haven't actually
> tested this in xetex!), but that would presumably affect both the main
> typeset output *and* the log file, which isn't what you want.
>
> So if people want to pursue this, I'd suggest raising it with the
> general TeX community.
>
> JK

Howdy,

If .log files were something that I needed for long term records I'd agree
with that. I think of a .log file as a temporary file that is useful for a
short while as I debug any problems I'm having. I'd rather have the .log
file---along with all the other files with short importance, e.g., the .aux
file---in the same directory as the original so I can see and delete it as
soon as I'm done using it. If I need it for some special reason I'd move it
into a safe place or simply choose not to delete it.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)