[XeTeX] doc/samples available via i-Installer

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Mar 14 11:53:51 CET 2005

On 14 Mar 2005, at 10:26 am, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> I liked your initial idea of ~/Documents. It's obvious so that it can
> be
> found. If people want to clean it up and away (and everyone has their
> own
> system of organisation: I keep such documents in
> /Users/Shared/Reference,
> but wouldn't dream of imposing that scheme on anyone else), then it's
> right there to be swept away.

I'm inclined to agree with this, except that I think Will's preference
of ~/Desktop may be better. (FWIW, I've seen software installers that
dump readmes and similar things on the Desktop, whether the user wishes
it or not. At least in this case the user is specifically choosing to
get these optional files, and does have a mechanism to put them
elsewhere if desired.)

So for now---and I know it won't make everyone happy!---I've modified
the i-Package so that it installs a "Documentation" and a "Samples"
folder, both within a "XeTeX-doc" folder. And the default destination
of XeTeX-doc is the user's desktop. At least it's obvious, and the user
is entirely free to put it elsewhere.

I could add this to the main software installer, but I'm hesitant to do
that as I suspect that people will often want to update the software
without getting a new copy of the (usually unchanged) docs. However, I
will try and remember to add this stuff to the .dmg (not in an
installer package, in this case), so that people getting XeTeX that way
have the files readily available to put wherever they wish (or to
ignore).

Apologies to those who strongly disagree with this scheme; I realize
that good arguments can be made for different options, too, but this is
what I can readily manage for the time being.