[XeTeX] Math Problem and XeLaTeX

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 5 18:06:24 CET 2005

Howdy,

I just ran into a problem when using `\dot x' or `\ddot x' in math mode and
XeLaTeX. My preamble, besides the usual amsmath, etc., package loading has

\usepackage[expert,vargreek,lucidasmallscale]{lucbmath}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Numbers=Lining,Scale=1.05]{Hoefler Text}
\setsansfont[Scale=1.01]{Gill Sans}
\setmonofont[Scale=0.84]{Verdana}

and all seems be ok but the compile seems to hang after saying

Output written on test.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test.log.

in the Console window; which seems to indicate that all went well. The .pdf
file is never really generated!

The text is:

Here are ``dotted'' and ``ddotted'' \(x\)'s in math mode: \(\dot x=\ddot
x\). And now in displayed math mode:
\[
\dot x=\ddot x.
\]

Sigh...

By the way if I move the lucbmath package line to after the loading of the
fontspec and xunicode packages I get an extra warning:

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucbmath.sty

Package lucidabr Warning: Unknown Operator Encoding!
(lucidabr)                Math accents may be wrong: assuming OT1 positions.

)

with the same hang at the end.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz