[XeTeX] fontspec v1.6

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sat Mar 5 13:45:33 CET 2005

Hello!

I'm finally ready to release the next version of fontspec.
There are many new features in this release; they are briefly
summarised here but you should find more info in the revamped
documentation.

To skip all the nonsense, you can get it directly (836kB) from:
<http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/tex/fontspec.zip>

New stuff:

-- \newfontinstance\myfont[features]{fontname}
    Defines an efficient way to access this specific font.
    Continuously using \fontspec is wasteful because it has
    to parse the features list every time.

-- Arbitrary features for every font shape. Now you can say
    \fontspec[BoldFont={Skia Regular},BoldFeatures={Weight=2}]{Skia
Regular}
    and get bold Skia with \bfseries

-- WARNING! I've changed the name of the "LetterCase" feature
    to "Letters" and changed the names of its options. This BREAKS
    backwards compatibility. Sorry.

-- WARNING! fontspec no longer loads xunicode. That's up to you now.

-- Bunch of new OpenType features/options are now supported:
      Script    ->  72 to choose from (Arabic, Devanagari, etc.)
      Language  -> 382 to choose from (probably useless for now :) )
      Ligatures -> Contextual , Historical
      Letters   -> PetiteCaps , PETITECAPS
      Variant   -> 1 to 20 selects the "Stylistic Set" "ss01" to "ss20"
                   This is UNTESTED. I hope it works.

Bug fix:

-- This didn't work (but should have) in the previous release:
      \fontspec[
            Feature=Option
               ]{fontname}
    Now it does.

I've probably forgotten some stuff too :)
I'd appreciate any testing or feedback: if it all works I'll put it on
CTAN.
Many thanks!

Will Robertson

PS No Jon B., optical font sizes are not yet supported :)