[XeTeX] making a format file of ConTeXt using XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Mar 5 13:16:24 CET 2005

On 5 Mar 2005, at 12:03 pm, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> [Gerben: suggested change to texmf.cnf below...]
>
> Charles Doherty said this at Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:01:34 +0000:
>
>>> By the way, the new format file's name is also cont-en.fmt.
>>> I have tested some files under the new installation.
>>>
>> I had upgraded as you have done some time ago and had the same
>> problem.
>> I didn't have enough time to pursue it then. But now that Jonathan and
>> Hans have kindly given advice I also successfully created a
>> cont-en.fmt. I placed it in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
>> where it replaced the old file there and I could process XeTeX
>> documents successfully but when I attempted to process  a ConTeXt
>> document it could not use the format. My problem is if it now has the
>> same name as the cont-en.fmt in Web2c where should it be placed? I use
>> a G4Mac OSX 10.3.8 and most recent ConTeXt. Any advice would be
>> appreciated.
>
> Yes, this is fallout from XeTeX moving to TeXLive2004 conventions, but
> the web2c system not really being updated to fully accommodate those
> conventions.
>
> Briefly:
>
> Add this line to your texmf.cnf after the TEXFORMATS definition:
>
>  TEXFORMATS.xetex = $TEXFORMATS/{xetex,}//

Provided your TEXFORMATS is set to something like

   TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//

which I believe is the gwTeX default, there's no need for this change;
the $engine variable provides the necessary support for the xetex
subdir under texmf.local/web2c. I'd expect you can make similar subdirs
for other engines, too, and thus keep the .fmt files nicely separated.

> And then make a xetex directory underneath your texmf.local/web2c
> directory.
>
> Build XeTeX/ConTeXt in that directory.
>
> Make sure the pdfeTeX-ConTeXt is still built in that original
> texmf.local/web2c...

...or arguably better, build it in texmf.local/web2c/pdfetex

JK

> ... and then "texexec --pdf" and "texexec --xtx" should both work
> again.
>
> If Charlie and/or Dalyoung could cross-check and put the above
> instructions in the ConTeXt wiki, I'd much appreciate it!
>
> [Gerben, I'd like to request this line being added to the general
> texmf.cnf files with your gwTeX. For bonus points, you could add:
>
>  TEXFORMATS.pdfetex  = $TEXFORMATS/{pdfetex,}//
>  TEXFORMATS.aleph    = $TEXFORMATS/{aleph,}//

I think this is incorrect; the ".suffix" is for the various program
names by which a single engine (executable) may be invoked, which is a
different variable from the actual engine identity. (Mind you, I've
suffered some confusion on this issue too, and may still not always be
thinking straight....)