[XeTeX] making a format file of ConTeXt using XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 4 15:02:49 CET 2005

On 4 Mar 2005, at 1:55 pm, Dalyoung wrote:

> Dear Jonathan and Hans,
>
> Thanks for XeTeX and the file, "syst-xtx.fmt".
> After replacing the file with the new one, I am able to make a format
> file.
> By the way, the new format file's name is also cont-en.fmt.
> I have tested some files under the new installation.
>
> General LaTeX and ConTeXt worked fine, but xelatex and xe-context
> worked with some font error messages as follows even though they
> worked fine before;
>
> <xelatex hoefler-test.tex>
> (see the transcript file for additional information)
>
> *** font activation failed (status=0): cmtt10.pfb
>
> *** font cmtt10 (CMTT10: file 'cmtt10.pfb') not found
>
> *** font cmtt10 (cmtt10.pfb) not found, will substitute Helvetica
> glyphs

...etc.

I think this means that you do not have the appropriate map file
enabled. XeTeX now relies (more than previously) on the psfonts.map
file to locate non-Mac OS X fonts such as these.

Try the command
	sudo updmap --enable Map=bsr.map
to update your .map files and enable the "bsr" map which lists the CM
fonts.

(It is also possible to activate map files on-the-fly using a new
\special command in XeTeX; perhaps ConTeXt's font-loading code could be
updated to use this, in the same way as it uses pdfTeX map-file
commands when using that engine. But for now, specifically enabling the
map yourself should work, I believe.)