Bus error [was:Re: [XeTeX] Wanted: "exotic" OpenType examples]

Cyril cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:41:33 CET 2005

Since Will asked for examples, I had a go at building some, using the
unicode consortium texts
<http://www.unicode.org/standard/translations/>, following the example
of Jonathan Kew.
Well things were OK (as far as I can tell Amharic the various Greek,
Hindi and Tibetan (although not with Code2000) were fine) even though I
had a lot of overfull error messages, with results similar to Yves
Codet's Sankrit example where the lines bunch up at the right-hand
margin.
Then I remembered the recent addition to XeTeX allowing for the
"hyphenation" of Chinese, and I was curious to see if it would work
with Japanese. I therefore pasted not the first little bit of the text,
but rather two paragraphs, saved the text and typeseted (sp?) it.
The first time I got a segmentation fault, TeXShop unexpectedly quit,
then Mail did as well and the Finder was stuck for a while... Once
things got settled, I opened the file again only to discover that the
pasteboard no longer worked!
I decided for a reboot, and the second typesetting around "only" go a
bus error, pasteboard gone, other application unexpectedly quitting as
well.
I was quite a bit surprised to say the least.
Just to check if it was my machine or not, I installed TeX, XeTeX on my
wife's laptop (therefore using the latest, stable 2004 Wierda install),
opened the document and the same thing happened.
Went back to my computer, tried compiling using Terminal this time, and
only Japanese in the text (I had a few other languages (5) mixed in the
previous document. Again Bus error, the computer starting to act
erratically.
It seems that having more than a paragraph of not formated (no hard or
soft line breaks) japanese suffices to send my computers screaming.
I attach the file (as I said formated using Jonathan's Hindi Open Type
example), if you want to give it a try.