[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.91 released

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 3 17:51:26 CET 2005

Dear Jonathan,

Again, it works perfectly.  This fix is not urgent, so of course
there's no need to waste your valuable time with posting another
release, but it would be great if this was included in the next
release.

This is really, truly impressive.  I don't think it is possible, with
the current CJK setup for LaTeX, to access these characters, at least
most of them.  That is, the current setup is limited to the font
Bitstream Cyberbit, which is itself difficult to install; I don't think
it is currently possible to install larger font sets, such as "Simsun
(Founder Extended)", which contain double the number of characters in
Cyberbit.

So what this means is that in XeTeX, with very simple commands such as

\font\1="Simsun (Founder Extended)" at 12pt
\1

or

\usepackage{fontspec}
\def\cjk#1{{\fontspec[Scale=1.0]{Simsun (Founder Extended)}#1}}
\cjk{}

and for now,

\XeTeXinputencoding "utf-8" %Remove after next release of XeTeX?

not only can one get CJK up and running perfectly, but also access the
complete range of CJK characters, most of which were previously
unavailable!!

Thanks so very much,

Roger

On Mar 3, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2005, at 5:14 am, Roger Hart wrote:
>
>> Also, one question, if I could. I don't know if it's something I
>> didn't set up correctly, but I couldn't get characters in the CJK
>> Unified Ideographs Ext. B to appear.  Is that a mistake on my part,
>> and if not, is that easy to fix?
>
> Oops! You're right. It's my mistake, not yours!
>
> Actually, they would have worked if you were using UTF-16 input text
> (but that may be a pain to work with from other points of view), or if
> you specify them by giving their surrogate-pair representation as a
> sequence of two characters using \char"XXXX or ^^^^xxxx notation. But
> they won't work by default from a UTF-8 input file--which is the main
> place you want them!
>
> You can work around the problem in 0.91 if you add
>
> 	\XeTeXinputencoding "utf-8"
>
> at the start of your file. I'll fix it properly in 0.92, but might not
> do another release straight away unless something else critical comes
> up (more important to update samples and documentation at this point,
> I think).
>
> JK

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222