[XeTeX] fontspec v1.7

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 23 09:58:56 CEST 2005

Will Robertson wrote:
> Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> how shall we proceed to implement mathematics
>> properly ?
>>
>> Indeed, what does *properly* actually mean now ?
>

> I would suggest that *properly* means that a unicode maths font can be
> set up in XeTeX to typeset maths in a maths environment, up to the level
> of writing in the literal glyphs if that is desired (but control
> sequences in general would be easier).
>
> There are many problems with this, the biggest, as I see it, being that
> TeX needs all those extra font dimensions that unicode fonts simply
> lack, as far as I am aware. But if I recall correctly, Michael Downes
> wrote a package that dealt with maths doing all of the spacing
> explicitly, so it's at least possible in theory. (breqn?)
>
> But this is a further reaching goal. The problem started with fontspec
> doing bad things with maths, and this is something that needs to be fixed.
>
> First: do we actually want \mathrm to take the font of the text?
>
> If so, then we simply need to remove the Knuthian assumptions that the
> maths font can take various accents and analphabetics from the text font
> and replace those definitions with fixed references to glyphs in a
> similarly old-fashioned font. So, if no other maths fonts are loaded,
> then the maths accents should be defined in terms of Computer Modern,
> and probably similarly with euler. lucbmath I haven't yet looked through
> but I'm sure that situation's similar.
>
> Do we agree so far? For now, maths is strictly legacy, and the maths
> font packages need to be patched in XeLaTeX to reflect this. Beyond this
> I really don't know enough of the details to comment, yet...

there is work in progress (was discussed at eurotex) to come to a new math font
specification; will take some time;

somehow i feel that the assumption that determining from the glyphs how spacing
should look (i.e. is sin a function name (roman) or is it a multiplication of
three variables) is not doable and comparable to assuming that using a greek
character means that we're typesetting greek (or making xetex trigger german
hyphenation due to an ediaeresis in the text stream). The fact that that a
symbol (glygh) has to do with math does ot imply that math is involved.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE