[XeTeX] RTL Arabic footnotes + line numbers for critical edition

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 22 17:28:53 CEST 2005

On 22 Jun 2005, at 7:52 am, Bernd Carl wrote:

> Footnoted in ArabTex do definitly not work. At least that's an
> official statement made by Prof. Lagally, the Author of ArabTex (I
> hope he is still working on it)
> In Xetex I tried a regular footnote in Arabic text. I placed a
> footnote inside the Arabic example the Xetex distro is bundled with.
> I certainly won't stard my edition without knowing for sure that
> footnotes work. Something like ednotes or ledmac would be the best
> solution but plain footnotes are okay too.
> Bernd.

Footnotes can definitely be done in Arabic text using XeTeX.

Some effort will be needed to override the default formatting of the
footnotes (e.g., to make them right-to-left paragraphs, select an
appropriate font, place the footnote callers properly, etc). How to
go about this would depend on the package (plain, LaTeX, ledmac,
etc...) you're working with; you might need to enlist the help of an
experienced macro writer if that's not something you're confident to
tackle yourself.