[XeTeX] RTL Arabic footnotes + line numbers for critical edition

Bernd Carl mlist at gmx.de
Wed Jun 22 08:55:32 CEST 2005

Hello,
I hope someone else has tried this before. I need to edit some Arabic
manuscripts and for collation I need Arabic footnotes. I have looked
into ledmac but it looks not really convincing to have the footnotes on
the left side when all the text is on the right side. It is probably
possible to use footnotes in ArabTex but line numbers are not possible
in RTL contexts. In Xetex I couldn't get footnotes working inside Arabic
texts (using \footnote {xyz}. So right now I'm a bit lost. Maybe someone
has an idea?
This is what I tried: ArabTex and lineno and/or ledmac, Xetex.

Thank you, Bernd.