[XeTeX] fontspec v1.7

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Jun 20 02:11:30 CEST 2005

On 20 Jun 2005, at 9:32 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> While "fixing up" fontspec & maths may deal with this particular
> issue, it bothers me that it is possible to make xdv2pdf fail like
> this.... no matter what characters you ask it to draw, I would like
> to think that the worst possible outcome is that you get PDFs with
> missing (or unwanted) glyphs, not that it crashes. But clearly it's
> not that robust at the moment.

I admit it was a little concerning to me also...but more because it
was my package causing the crash...

> If someone would be able to put together a minimal example that
> makes it fail, without getting into fontspec and math mode and so
> on, that would be really helpful. Can you crash it by just
> selecting a certain font in plain TeX, and trying to render a
> certain character using \char? If so, I'd love to have such a test
> case, to see if there's some way to figure out why it fails and
> make it more reliable.

That's a very reasonable request. Always good to stress test our
software ;)
I'll see what I can do! (Although I don't relish the idea of digging
into LaTeX's maths code to figure out what it's trying to do...)

Peace,
Will