[XeTeX] name change breaks typesetting

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Wed Jun 15 21:22:55 CEST 2005

 On Wednesday, June 15, 2005, at 02:30PM, Florian Grammel <grammel at gmx.net> wrote:

>I have a problem (bug?) where I don't know which part of the upset is
>to blame, but mightbe somebody here knows how to fix it:
>
>I'm running up-to-date XeLaTeX (This is XeTeX, Version
>3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3))
>with TeXShop 2.0.3 on OS 10.4.1 (german localization).
>
>A simple file like this typesets just fine:
>

>\documentclass[11pt]{article}
>\usepackage{geometry}
>\geometry{a4paper}               .
>\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
>
>\title{Egils saga einhenda}
>\author{anonymous}
>\date{14th century}
>
>\begin{document}
>\fontspec[ItalicFont={Notator Uni Italic}] {Notator Uni Regular}
>
>\maketitle
>%\section{}
>%\subsection{}
>
>test
>
>\end{document}
>

>But when I change the file's name in the finder, open it again with
>TeXShop and try to typeset again, I just get the following error
>message:
>

>This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>entering extended mode
>(./neuer Name.tex
>LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
>Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
>ngerman, d
>utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation, loaded.
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size11.clo))
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.cfg))
>(/Users/florian/Library/texmf/tex/latex/fontspec.sty)
>(/Users/florian/Library/texmf/tex/latex/xunicode.sty)
>
>! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.
>
>See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
>l.10 \begin{document}
>
>?
>(./neuer.tex)
>
>LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
>(Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on input
>line 10.
>

>LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
>(Font)              `operators' in the math version `bold' on input
>line 10.
>
>[1] [2] (./neuer.tex) )
>Output written on neuer Name.pdf (2 pages).
>Transcript written on neuer Name.log.

I'm not sure what is happening here. I could not compile the example you gave -- I always got the "! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}" error. I'm not familiar with this use of the geometry package: It is usually called as \usepackage[a4paper]{geometry} (which works in this case), with a paper size -- such as a4paper -- appearing in \geometry{....} as part of a list of options. The file naming problem may be another issue.

Stephen Moye