[XeTeX] name change breaks typesetting

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 15 20:41:39 CEST 2005

On 15 Jun 2005, at 2:23 pm, Florian Grammel wrote:

> I have a problem (bug?) where I don't know which part of the upset
> is to blame, but mightbe somebody here knows how to fix it:
>
> But when I change the file's name in the finder, open it again with
> TeXShop and try to typeset again, I just get the following error
> message:
>

> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> entering extended mode
> (./neuer Name.tex

It looks as though you have given the file a name that includes a
space ("neuer Name.tex"), and that is not being correctly passed to
xetex or handled by the program.

I'm not sure if this is something that could be fixed by changing how
TeXShop passes the name to xetex, or if it's a problem in the actual
xetex engine, but the simple and safe solution will be to avoid
spaces in filenames. That's the traditional TeX view, anyway!

In general, xetex is supposed to accept file names with spaces,
provided they are quoted (e.g., \input "my tex file"), but perhaps
there's a problem passing such a name via the command line. I'll try
to look into that.