[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and jurabib

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jun 3 09:53:08 CEST 2005

Le 3 juin 05 à 09:29, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> By the way, the standard XeTeX distro contains also UTF-8 versions
> of some hyphenation files. For people with Gerben's TeX distro,
> these files are put by the XeTeX installer inside /usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.local/tex/generic/hyphen/. These get read before the
> files, with non UTF-8 characters, inside the teTeX tree at /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/, preventing the
> problem you report.

Re-reading this message, I'm realizing the choice of the directory
where XeTeX puts its UTF-8 hyphenation files might be problematic:
because it's inside texmf.local/tex/generic/, the UTF-8 hyphenation
files get read before the standard non-UTF-8 hyphenation files inside
texmf.tex/tex/generic/, whatever the engine, and this might cause
problems with other engines (pdfTeX, TeX). A location such as
texmf.local/xetex/generic/hyphen/ might be more appropriate.

That's the only choice that seems safe for (pdf)TeX and useful for
both XeTeX and XeLaTeX, given the settings inside /usr/local/teTeX/
texmf.cnf:

     % XeTeX
     TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xelatex,latex,generic,}//
     TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

On the other hand, with the settings inside /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf:

     % XeTeX
     TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,latex,generic,}//
     TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

then the location texmf.local/tex/xetex/hyphen/ might be appropriate
as well. I just don't know which one of the two texmf.cnf takes
precedence. (I mean, I thought I did and that /usr/local/teTeX/
texmf.cnf was overwriting any value read from /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, but a recent message by Gerben on memory
settings to the OS X TeX list got me confused.)

Bruno Voisin