[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and jurabib

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jun 3 09:29:05 CEST 2005

Le 3 juin 05 à 02:23, Tara Andrews a écrit :

> In the interests of sparing other people pain...
>
> I am using jurabib for my thesis.  I installed XeTeX on top of the
> TeX installation from fink (which worked fine after I disabled all
> the hyphenation files with non-UTF-8 characters in them.)  So the
> problem reported herein is almost certainly going to strike fink
> users.
>
> [...]
>
> I converted url.sty to UTF-8 (via bbedit) and it all works now.
> However, I have no idea if the math symbols (which is what url.sty
> was using non-ASCII for) will do whatever they are supposed to do.
>
> My converted file is at http://www.eccentricity.org/~tla/url.sty .
> For humanists who can live without math symbols, this should .  If
> you are a mathematician who knows what these characters in url.sty
> are for, I'd be interested to know if this file still works for that.

I imagine it should. Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution contains also a
conversion of url.sty to UTF-8 encoding, in the directory /usr/local/
teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/xetex/latex/url/ read before the standard
teTeX directory at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/url/
when you're using XeTeX, hence preventing the problem.

By the way, the standard XeTeX distro contains also UTF-8 versions of
some hyphenation files. For people with Gerben's TeX distro, these
files are put by the XeTeX installer inside /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/tex/generic/hyphen/. These get read before the files,
with non UTF-8 characters, inside the teTeX tree at /usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/, preventing the problem you
report.

Bruno Voisin