[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and jurabib

Tara Andrews chrysaphi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 02:23:41 CEST 2005

In the interests of sparing other people pain...

I am using jurabib for my thesis.  I installed XeTeX on top of the
TeX installation from fink (which worked fine after I disabled all
the hyphenation files with non-UTF-8 characters in them.)  So the
problem reported herein is almost certainly going to strike fink users.

When I first attempted a simple

\usepackage{jurabib}

I got the following error:

(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/jurabib/jurabib.sty
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/ifthen.sty)
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/calc.sty)
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/url/url.sty
! Undefined control sequence.
l.41   \Url at OTnonTT
                     % more for any but cmtt

After pain, cursing, and investigation, I found that there were two
url.sty files installed; both of them were identical.  I also found
that they are encoded in Windows Latin.  This, er, could be a problem.

I converted url.sty to UTF-8 (via bbedit) and it all works now.
However, I have no idea if the math symbols (which is what url.sty
was using non-ASCII for) will do whatever they are supposed to do.

My converted file is at http://www.eccentricity.org/~tla/url.sty .
For humanists who can live without math symbols, this should .  If
you are a mathematician who knows what these characters in url.sty
are for, I'd be interested to know if this file still works for that.

-tara