[XeTeX] Re: [NTG-context] ConTeXt-XeTeX question

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 1 15:28:56 CEST 2005

On 1 Jun 2005, at 2:15 pm, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> [I'm copying to the XeTeX list--this may not be ConTeXt-specific. -atl]
> Dalyoung said this at Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:03:37 +0900:
>
>>> 1) Recently, I upgraded ConTeXt new version and got a problem in
>>> compilation. However,  after upgrading texexec and creating format
>>> files, it is working fine with some warning messages as following:
>>>
>>> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
>>> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format
>>> specification.
>>> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
>>> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format
>>> specification.
>>> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
>>> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format
>>> specification.
>
> I noticed this too on my recent re-install. I presume it's an issue
> with
> legacy type1 .pfb files being wrapped in a Mac format. However, I am
> not
> 100% certain this issue is independent of XeTeX on Tiger: I didn't
> really test the previous ConTeXt with XeTeX on 10.4.

It's a XeTeX+Tiger issue, not related to the specific format being used
but to the way we're supporting .pfb fonts (which the OS doesn't really
support). Something changed between Panther and Tiger that made this
start happening, although the output still seems to be OK (in
particular, the .pfb fonts that the warnings relate to still seem to
render fine).

I have reported this to Apple and am trying to determine whether it is
in fact a problem with what XeTeX is doing (in which case I need some
more information on just what is wrong), or an Apple problem. Maybe I
can get some answers at WWDC next week, if I can corner the right
people.

>>> I don't know the causes of these warnings. I am using personal
>>> script file for Korean, but there was no warning before in the same
>>> condition.
>
> The first thing to figure out is if XeLaTeX users encounter this as
> well
> on Tiger when using legacy fonts.

Yes, they will, but if they're running from an environment like TeXShop
rather than Terminal, they may not have noticed the messages, as
they'll appear only in the system log, which most people don't usually
look at.