[XeTeX] Could This Be a Problem?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jul 14 20:25:48 CEST 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> That may or may not be related, but under Tiger: sometimes in
> TeXShop when displaying a PDF file upon opening or when refreshing
> the display after typesetting, all spaces are replaced by other
> characters (like "(", or "&"); the same happens at times when
> printing a text message from Mail.app. Hence it feels like a Tiger
> bug.
>
> I never found out what triggers this. My impression is the same as
> for Herb, namely that this happens when I'm doing something very
> quickly: like typing Cmd-P immediately after Mail.app has finished
> displaying a message.
>
> I'll see whether the same happens in OS X 10.4.2.
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

Sigh... it happens under 10.4.2 here.

I don't know what's going on but the OS just seems to go temporarily
insane with huge amounts of processor usage and one or more processes
not responding to signals (probably because it's not getting
cycles!). I used to only see this with the loginwindow process (when
I waited for a dialog box to put the system to sleep) but now I've
seen it with TeXShop when it's trying to display a pdf and other
processes occasionally . I wish Apple would get on this problem since
I've seen other reports about the problem; I suspect it's going to
take till 10.4.6 before it gets resolved.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)