[XeTeX] Strange hyphenation

Musa Furber musaf at runbox.com
Sun Jul 10 21:42:24 CEST 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 9:28 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2005, at 7:07 pm, Musa Furber wrote:
>  [...]
>> I will have to look into the \hyphenation exceptions option and begin
>> making a list. Throwing \makebox{...} all over the place doesn't look
>> nice.
>
> Indeed it doesn't.
>
> (Actually, it seems to me that "Al-l~{(!~}h" is actually a very reasonable
> hyphenation. But depending on the situation, you might prefer to avoid
> it.)

This is one word that should never get hyphenated. It might seem
dogmatic to others, but even when when diagramming sentences we Muslims
say things like "the word `God' is accusative".

There are quite a few Arabic typographical conventions that are related
to beliefs. Someone must have already written a monograph on the topic
of the influence of religion over typography, seeing how the history of
writing and printing are so intertwined with religion.

Regards,
Musa