[XeTeX] Typesetting in TeXShop with Xe-ConTeXt

Otared Kavian otared at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jul 5 23:53:18 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Some time ago someone asked how to typeset a file with an
XeTeX-ConTeXt format from within TeXShop, as opposed from the Command
Line Interface.
I don't remember if we got a definite answer to this demand, but
today in the midst of renewing my TeX installation I discovered that
this is possible and very simple:

1) Create a (text) file called XeConTeXt.engine containing the lines:

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
/usr/local/bin)
texexec --xtx  "$1"

and save it in the directory ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines. If you use
any other "shell" than "tcsh" you should put that shell instead. (The
name "XeConTeXt.engine" can actually be "whatYouWant.engine").

2) In a Terminal window make this file "XeConTeXt.engine" executable
with the command

chmod XeConTeXt.engine 755

3) Reopen TeXShop and a file you want to typeset with XeConTeXt:
you'll see in a small menu in the toolbar of the source file, that
there is an option with XeConTeXt. Choose this and then typeset your
file.

Note: The above works provided the format cont-en.fmt created with
XeTeX sits in the directory
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/xetex

and the change mentioned in my previous message (see the thread
"[XeTeX] ConTeXt and XeTeX set up") has been applied.

I hope this is helpful...
Best regards: OK