[XeTeX] "Finding" Lucida Bright fonts in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jan 31 12:23:47 CET 2005

On 31 Jan 2005, at 11:08 am, nachman wrote:

> I have the Lucida Bright fonts from the old "Texture" days.  Using
> info from Gary Gray I converted them to .pfb files, renamed and stored
> them in the appropriate files such as
> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lumath, etc. TeXShop with the pdf
> typesetter or the ps typesetter has no trouble finding these fonts
> with the following preamble:
>
> <snip>
>
> XeTeX generates the following error messages:
>
> *** font hlcrima (LucidaNewMath-AltItalic: file 'lbmo') not found
> *** font hlcry (LucidaNewMath-Symbol: file 'lbms') not found
> *** font hlcrv (LucidaNewMath-Extension: file 'lbme') not found  )

Mac OS X (and therefore XeTeX, which relies on OS X's font subsystem)
cannot load and use .pfb fonts. You could convert them to OpenType
(.otf), as was done with the Computer Modern fonts. However, there may
well be issues of encoding to tackle; before it can apply .enc files,
if your font-map calls for them, XeTeX requires the .otf files to have
a full glyph name ('post') table, and I don't think FontForge provides
this by default.

Alternatively, for text fonts, you could install the original Mac OS
fonts (or .otf versions) into the standard OS X Library/Fonts location,
and then use the fontspec package to load them. But this will not work
for math fonts; for those, you need to load .tfm files, and have proper
font-maps, etc.

Jonathan