[XeTeX] Installation problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jan 9 23:29:31 CET 2005

On 9 Jan 2005, at 9:57 pm, Christophe DAMAS wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've installed xetex using i-installer. But when I try to typeset a
> document I get the following message :
>
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.88 (Web2C 7.5.2)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.xfmt
> mktexfmt: No such file or directory
> I can't find the format file `xetex.xfmt'!
>

> That's true because  there's no xetex.xfmt file in tetex directory
> hierarchy. I've tried to build this file using xeintex, but I get a
> error message (BUS 56).
>
> I'm working on macosX 10.3.5.
>
> Does anyone has a suggestion for me, where is the problem ? Does
> anyone has a list of file that are compulsory.

The format file is supposed to be built during installation; but if you
look at the Subprocess Output panel during installation with
i-Installer, you'll probably see that it's failing for you. And if it
fails then, it's likely to fail again when you try to build it yourself
afterwards.

In this case, it sounds like xetex is crashing while trying to build
the format file. There will probably be a log file in
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/xetex.crash.log or somewhere like that
(viewable with the Console app, or with a text editor) that may give a
clue as to what is going wrong.

I'd be interested to see both the Subprocess Output from i-Installer
and the crash log that is created, to try and determine what is going
wrong.

Jonathan