[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9 and utf8accents.sty

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Feb 25 18:09:48 CET 2005

Le 25 févr. 05, à 17:42, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> If you're releasing a new version, Ross, would this be a good time to
> change the package name? It's always seemed to me that it shouldn't
> really be "utf8accents", as it doesn't relate to UTF-8 (a Unicode
> encoding format); that would be the responsibility of a package that
> reads the raw input bytes, but XeTeX takes care of that itself.
> "unicodechars.sty", perhaps? (It's not just about accents any more,
> either.)
>
> I seem to recall there was some discussion a while ago about whether
> this should be implemented at a different level, as a font encoding or
> something, but I don't remember the details, or know how feasible this
> would be. Whether or not you consider that, it's still a great
> resource for everyone.... thanks for providing it!

I'm just realizing such issues in standard LaTeX are considered to
arise at the encoding level, and are defined in the two files (part of
the inputenc package)

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/utf8.def
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/utf8enc.dfu

The former, for example, includes

	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{00A9}{\textcopyright}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{00AA}{\textordfeminine}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{00AE}{\textregistered}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{00BA}{\textordmasculine}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{02C6}{\textasciicircum}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{02CA}{\textasciitilde}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{200C}{\textcompwordmark}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{2026}{\textellipsis}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{2122}{\texttrademark}
	\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{2423}{\textvisiblespace}

while the latter includes these and a lot more. Don't know whether
that's related to both questions.

In any case the above declarations from utf8.def seem strange, as
Unicode character 02CA is the acute accent in OS X's Character Palette,
and neither the full-size tilde which is 007E nor the tilde accent
which is 02DC.

Bruno (puzzled)