[XeTeX] Tibetan fonts and XeTex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Feb 24 16:44:26 CET 2005

On 24 Feb 2005, at 3:31 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> In the "final" test file, which includes Jonathan's corrections and
> yours, I wrote this:
>
> \newcommand{\tib}[1]{{\tibfont\lineskiplimit=-100pt\baselineskip=16pt
> #1}}
> \font\tibfont="Tibetan Machine Uni" at 11 pt
>
> to avoid repeating \lineskiplimit=-100pt\baselineskip=16pt. It works
> but is it safe?

Using \tibfont like this, with \tibfont declared as a \font, means that
you're overriding whatever fontspec had set up earlier. This was a raw
XeTeX way of accessing the font, as I wasn't sure how to do it via
fontspec. If you use fontspec instead, you'll get a \tib command that
matches the current font size, rather than using one fixed style.

So you probably want something more like:

     \newcommand{\tib}[1]{{\fontspec[AssortedTibetanFeatures]{Tibetan
Machine Uni}%
         \lineskiplimit=-100pt \baselineskip=16pt #1}}

or better still, make the \baselineskip value depend on the current
font size. I'm sure some of the LaTeX experts around can tell how to do
that. I just picked an arbitrary value that seemed to look OK to me for
the sample, but it's not flexible/robust to do it that way.