[XeTeX] TeXShop Help Request

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 24 16:06:18 CET 2005

On 2/23/05 3:52 PM, "Mike Leonard" <mikeleonard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I seem to have run into a snag with the new version (1.35e is it?) of
> TeXShop. I downloaded it for the XeTeX support, but it doesn't seem to
> be aware of anything in the Engines folder. I have XeTeX.engine and
> XeLaTeX.engine in there, but the Typeset menu only contains the old
> standbys. Has anyone else encountered this? Is the solution so
> blatantly obvious that it has never come up before?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike Leonard

Howdy,

The engines seem to only show up in the toolbar dropdown menu on the source
window. If you've taken that off put it back on. You can also guarantee the
execution by an engine by making the first line of your document

%&program=enginename

e.g.,

%&program=XeLaTeX

will default to the XeLaTeX engine when Cmd-T is pressed. Remember to make
the engine files executable since they are just shell scripts.

I'm sure the form of the header will change in the future, because the %&
line format is already standardized, but this is how it works for now.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)