[XeTeX] TeXShop Help Request

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 08:22:26 CET 2005

Le 23 févr. 05, à 22:52, Mike Leonard a écrit :

> I seem to have run into a snag with the new version (1.35e is it?) of
> TeXShop. I downloaded it for the XeTeX support, but it doesn't seem to
> be aware of anything in the Engines folder. I have XeTeX.engine and
> XeLaTeX.engine in there, but the Typeset menu only contains the old
> standbys. Has anyone else encountered this? Is the solution so
> blatantly obvious that it has never come up before?

That's a user interface issue, but is normal behaviour in TeXShop's
current version. You select the XeTeX or XeLaTeX engines in the
pulldown menu in the toolbar of any editing window, and then you can
either use the Typeset button in this toolbar or the Typeset item in
the Typeset menu. Another way of proceeding is to define xetex and
xelatex as Personal Scripts (in TeXShop's Misc pref), and then check
Personal Script at the bottom of the Typeset menu (or define them as
default scripts in the Typesetting pref), then use the TeX or XeTeX
items of this menu (as described at
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_texshop>).

I think, due to discussion in the OS X TeX list immediately after
TeXShop 1.35 was released (back in early September 2004), that this is
interim behaviour due to the introduction of the new Engine concept,
and the associated user interface is planned by Dick Koch to change in
the next version, with better separation (or merge) of the two concepts
of Engines and Personal Scripts.

Bruno Voisin