[XeTeX] Lucida Math Opentype

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Tue Feb 22 17:42:51 CET 2005

> To what extent TeX or eTeX, upon which XeTeX is based, can be adapted
> from its original 7-bit, then 8-bit, design to the 16-bit Unicode
> design, I wonder. TeX seems so firmly rooted in its 7-bit soil,
> especially when math is involved, that turning it into a good Unicode
> citizen seems like discovering a nightmarish landscape of
> compatibility issues. Probably I'm just getting pessimistic these
> days...

> Bruno Voisin

i think this is a case of "if you build it, they will come".   there
really isn't a migration path from traditional latex math to unicode
math, hence a completely new method is required like \omathchar.
people will migrate to the new method if/when they see a benefit,
especially since it can be made backward compatible for the most part.
since we all believe 16-bit math/symbols would be beneficial, it will
happen.  if no-one steps off the edge of the cliff and puts out a
proposal, then we'll all just wallow around wondering why things aren't
progressing.
to my limited viewpoint, \omathchar seems a reasonable starting point,
and you'd have some leverage with two schemes using it.

-SM-