[XeTeX] Use of Unicode fonts in LaTeX

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Feb 17 16:26:06 CET 2005

On 18 Feb 2005, at 12:31 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> I think this once again shows how useful would be the release of a
> LaTeX 3 turned towards the future, that is built upon Unicode and
> building bridges with XML, HTML, MathML and the like. But I'm getting
> pessimistic concerning whether LaTeX 3 will ever be.

Check out the EuroTeX 2005 program:
<http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/eurotex2005/fr/164-programme.html> (I
really wish I could make it!)

There are presentations on Unicode maths, OpenType fonts, TEI (dealing
with XML I believe), more Latin Modern progress (after all, we need a
font with enough characters to take advantage of Unicode!) and a couple
of presentations on ExTeX, a TeX-successor with Unicode support and
other niceties. Frank Mittelbach is also presenting "LaTeX 3 News".

Progress is being made! With ExTeX coming around and Aleph gaining in
popularity (and not to mention XeTeX!) there are now a few building
blocks to actually implement these sorts of things in a modern program
with decent access to things like Unicode fonts. And ConTeXt already
has some sort of XML support.

I wouldn't give up hope yet...

Will